- Welcoming – “Considering the current situation, welcoming means, above all, offering broader options for migrants and refugees to enter destination countries safely and legally.”
- Protecting – “The second verb – protecting – may be understood as a series of steps intended to defend the rights and dignity of migrants and refugees, independent of their legal status.
- Promoting – “Promoting essentially means a determined effort to ensure that all migrants and refugees – as well as the communities which welcome them – are empowered to achieve their potential as human beings, in all the dimensions which constitute the humanity intended by the Creator.
- Integrating – “The final verb – integrating – concerns the opportunities for intercultural enrichment brought about by the presence of migrants and refugees. Integration is not “an assimilation that leads migrants to suppress or to forget their own cultural identity. Rather, contact with others leads to discovering their ‘secret’, to being open to them in order to welcome their valid aspects and thus contribute to knowing each one better. This is a lengthy process that aims to shape societies and cultures, making them more and more a reflection of the multi-faceted gifts of God to human beings”
What do these words mean to us?
- Who, if any, do we welcome from outside our circle?
- What are their rights independent of legal and moral status …their needs for protection?
- How do I empower others to achieve their full human potential?
- Do others have a place at the table of our civic and worship communities